If you read this blog, you’ll know that I’ve been working on building a fireplace mantle with my Dad. Well it’s finished! I’m going to post the first section of the process here and then I’ll post the completed one in another post tomorrow. So here we go!
Part 1: Building the frame and adding the panels.
My sketch and photo reference for the mantle. I wanted mine kinda skinny since my living room isn’t huge. All in all – we spent about $130 on some really nice wood for the mantle. We got it cut down at Home Depot (they do it for free) so it would fit in the car and then we were off to get started!
We slowly put the frame together – followed by the panels. Dad came up with a pretty ingenious way to showcase the joints by routing out all along the edges of the frame so the panels “rested” into them. The end result was some extra details in the design. The above shot was taken before we had the rest of the decorative trim on which you’ll see….. in the next post! We did some finishing nails to hold the panels in and wood glue for extra support.
Next up is part 2 with priming and distressing.
(Not sure how much you want to read on the details but I’m happy to answer any questions about what we did 🙂 )
Happy Tuesday 🙂